[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] web based spatial MIS/Dashboard

Janneke van Dijk janneke.qgis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:05:40 PDT 2024

Thanks for your response!

I think the most common case would be:

1. data in postgres database
2. editing done in qgis
3. viewing map and some selected graphs/tables in the web browser with
the ability to (for example) click on a feature and use that to filter
the data to only include data for that feature in the
graphs/tables/other dashboard items, or be able to select from a drop
down list and use that as a filter.

Which indeed corresponds to your Scenario 2. If I understand this
correctly, you will always need to program the HTML frontend to
communicate with the backend, and there are no tools that let you
automagically configure the html front end with dragging and dropping a
map widget and a graph widget with some settings for data sources?

I guess what clients might be asking for is the equivalent of ArcGIS
dashboards... I have not worked with it, but from the docs it seems to
be the type of functionality clients have on their wish list, where no
coding is required to publish a map with some corresponding indicators.
(https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/7edefc1970d44b839ebbfd7b45e51e2d
for example).

So maybe my questions are on two levels:

- what would someone need to do to create something with a similar
result (any recommended tools/libraries/languages - Rosa just
recommended some)
- is it desirable to have an Open Source tool that allows for creating
something with that functionality without the need for coding? And if
so, what would be the way to go about it?  Which would maybe be more of
a discussion rather than a technical question.

cheers!
Janneke