[QGIS-Developer] cmake PYQT_SIP_DIR (via Python_SITEARCH) value wrong on Debian and derivatives

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Feb 9 06:50:15 PST 2024

On 2/9/24 15:32, Greg Troxel via QGIS-Developer wrote:

> So:
>
>    This is about Debian (and hence Ubuntu etc.) doing something unusual,
>    vs every other system (Other Linux, Windows, Mac, *BSD, illumos.)

No, not so much. It is more about Python and Linux distro's (and cmake) trying to address Python's PEP668 (which is mentioned in the kitware issue):

https://peps.python.org/pep-0668/

and the info about 'Externally Managed Environments' and why distro's are doing that:

https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/specifications/externally-managed-environments

Takeway:

- in future(?) distro's will have different places where they put packages in: one for distro-packaged, and one for locally packaged.

Probably we will end up with a 'lookup path' in which both are available, but the order will change depending on if you install locally via pip or via your distro's package manager?

I think we are now in the middle of this transitions, hence the messy look sometimes.

Regards,

Richard