[QGIS-Developer] Official PSC call on pull request policies

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Feb 27 14:10:49 PST 2024

Thanks Nyall for raising this thread!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 09:21:05AM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> Policy #1: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/56062
>
> In short, Sandro proposes that the pull request queue be an open queue
> of ALL work happening everywhere, in any state of completeness. Pull
> requests are permitted for semi-complete work, and for long-term
> (including multi-year) projects which are not yet ready for review or
> merge. The justification here is that having this work open in the
> queue makes it widely visible and so that other developers are aware
> of ongoing work across the community.

I would add that allowing long-term PRs also serves the purpose of making
it easy for contributors to check the state of their work against CI as
running tests locally is so hard that I dubt anyone is doing that.

> Policy #2: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/56523

[...]

> When the queue includes work which is not ready for review, then it
> becomes very tricky to work out the actual status of pull requests and
> which ones should be focused on during review time.

I think this is a limitation of the software used to get the list
of pull requests needing focus, and should be threated as such.
If github makes it hard to filter on "PR state" we could use a label
to do that.

--strk;