[QGIS-Developer] Qt6 python plugins: visual hint in PluginManager plugin list?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Feb 29 04:00:34 PST 2024

Hi,

Maybe it is a little too early, as not so many people will be able to test Qt6 builds of QGIS?

But I have one :-)
And I upgraded a first plugin that is working both in Qt5 and Qt6 [0]

Now I'm wondering if there should be some visual cue, when working with a Qt6 build, when searching for plugins.
99.9% of the plugins will not work :-(
And pop up the attached screenshot.

Any idea's on how to handle this user friendly?
Hiding the Qt5 plugins does not seem a good idea (to me).
Maybe 'graying' out all plugins that do not have `supportsQt6=yes` in their metadata is easiest, and would maybe users ask for Qt6 upgrades to plugin authors?
Alternative would be some checkbox/filter for Qt5/Qt6 plugins/

Other idea's, or should we/I just not bother?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

[0] https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/pdokservicesplugin/commits/