[QGIS-Developer] Adding a "solution proposed" label?

Thomas Larsen Wessel mrvelle at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 00:43:12 PST 2024

Nyall wrote: " It seems wrong to just close that issue without giving the
reporter time to reply  "

If a user spends a long time (for me it sometimes takes as much as a few
hours, believe it or not) to write an issue, believing it actually is a bug
or at least an issue with the docs that ought to be corrected, it will like
seem unappreciated if the issue is closed in the very first
response, specially if that response is very brief and does not contain any
appreciation. Even if that is not how it is intended.

When I report issues it's not always because its a real problem for me; it
is often simply because I believe it's in the interest of the project, and
it's my tiny contribution to that project.

Tickets that are obviously just questions, should IMO be closed
immediately, with advice on where to ask such questions. But when people
report what to them seems like a bug, I would encourage a friendly response
that signals that even if their effort was in vain because it was not a
bug, it actually is appreciated. Especially if it's a well written issue.
I'm afraid that "closed" signals very little appreciation; a lot less
appreciation than "not a bug" and then closing a few days later. Having an
issue closed like that seems/feels almost like having a forum thread
deleted, does it not?

Apropos of appreciation, I really appreciate the work that all of you are
doing for QGIS and other FOSS. Have a nice weekend :)

Sincerely, Thomas