[QGIS-Developer] Theoretical discussion: A QGIS paid plugin marketplace?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 31 18:26:19 PST 2024

Hi Nyall,

<THEORETICALLY>

It would seem tricky that qgis.org both offers/promotes a gratis & FOSS
"market place" (the current official plugin repository), and a paid one.
That could be conceived, but if qgis.org would promote in some way the
paid market place, this would create some expectation on the quality of
the plugins proposed for a fee, and QGIS itself, which could create some
tensions with users.

The theoretical question of someone buying a paid (GPL) plugin (or maybe
just finding its source code somewhere) and making it a gratis plugin
once it has obtained its source code would be quite untainable if
qgis.org managed both market places. The spirit & letter of the GPL is
that anyone can improve existing code and share it with others, so it
would be a hard take to prevent someone from distributing an
improved/modified version of a paid GPL plugin in the gratis repository,
and obviously having the same entity managing both market places would
be a conflict of interest.

I'm not sure if the non-profit status of qgis.org would allow it to
manage a paid marketplace.

I was wondering about the connection between Blender Market, LLC the
private company behind blendermarket.com, and Blender.org the OSS
organization, since that could be an interesting situation with respect
to trademark.

https://blendermarket.com/page/about brings interesting clues about why
it's working:

- "The Blender Market is independently owned and operated and has no
affiliation with The Blender Foundation."

but:

- "The Blender Market is a proud Corporate Gold member of the Blender
Development Fund"

I don't know if blender.org has some sort of gratis plugin repo, or if
not, more generally how they would welcome a code contribution in their
software coming from OSS code from the paid market place... I assume
they must have some policy on how to handle such situation.

All in all, I believe that such organization, with a clear separation of
the .org and the .com as different legal entities, with a "win-win"
relationship, would probably be the best solution if one wanted to
implement that.

</THEORETICALLY>

Even

http://www.spatialys.com