[QGIS-Developer] Transition from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine in qgis2web (QGIS plugin)

info at opengis.it info at opengis.it
Tue Jul 9 08:46:39 PDT 2024

   Thanks Jan Dalheimer

   Thanks Jean-Baptiste Peter

   From your answers I understood many things.

   I tried both to use QGIS 3.38.0 installed in win10 via .msi and the version via OSGeo4W setup; In the first case I added qtwebengine via "pip install qtwebengine", in the second case I installed the "python3-pyqtwebengine" package via OsGeo4w setup

   In both installations I get the same result: QtWebEngine it does not work well

   I also tried to create a new test plugin and I get the same result, I can't even view a web page. Is there an example of a basic plugin that I can see? Or can someone create it?

   The clue:

   If I use qt designer to insert a QtWebEngineView into the plugin graphics it works well, even when setting a static web page.
   But if I open QGIS that plugin won't work, why does this happen? I would therefore think that it is just a question of dependency .

   For now I noticed this:
   1) From QGIS version 3.38.0 I can use "from qgis.PyQt.QtWebEngineWidgets import *" instead of "from PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets import *"

   2) with qgis 3.38.0 .msi installation this dependency is missing:

   qt5-devel (5.15.13-1)

   Qt5 headers and libraries (Development)

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine

   3) with OSGeo4W setup these dependencies are required:

   python3-core (3.12.4-1)

   Python core interpreter and runtime

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine, python3-pyqt5, python3-pyqt5-sip

   python3-pyqt5 (5.15.10-1)

   Python bindings for the Qt cross platform application toolkit

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine

   python3-pyqt5-sip (12.13.0-1)

   The sip module support for PyQt5

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine, python3-pyqt5

   qt5-devel (5.15.13-1)

   Qt5 headers and libraries (Development)

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine

   qt5-libs (5.15.13-1)

   Qt5 runtime libraries

   Required by: python3-pyqtwebengine, python3-pyqt5, qt5-devel, qtwebkit-libs

   Thank you all

   Andrea Ordonselli
   OpenGIS.it