[QGIS-Developer] Security Scan Issue: Why Can't I no longer do this?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Sep 16 23:18:43 PDT 2026


I see you use de logging module in some of your code. You could at least add a logging statement stating "deliberatly 'pass'ing an exception" or so?

(Honestly, having this helped me find an issue some time ago in a plugin...)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 9/16/26 19:07, C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> 
> This is with the Lat Lon Tools plugin. This rule prevented me from publishing an updated version. The plugin has been in use since QGIS 2 and it doesn't download and run anything.
> 
> Thanks,
> Calvin
> 
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2026 at 12:54 PM Laurențiu Nicola via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org <mailto:qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>> wrote:
> 
>     __
>     +1. I don't think it should be up to QGIS to enforce style rules. Does it warn if a plugin downloads some code over plain HTTP and runs it? That's something I would care about, as a user. I don't care about code style, I'll just assume it's awful, vibe-coded (based on recent plugin submissions I've looked at), or both.
> 
>     Laurentiu
> 
>     On Wed, Sep 16, 2026, at 19:48, C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer wrote:
>>     Your security scans are causing me problems. Why can't I do the following?
>>                 try...
>>                 except Exception:
>>                     pass
>>
>>     In the try statement, if it fails I don't want it to do anything in the exception. This is exactly what I want to happen, but your security scans call it a "Critical Error". What should I do instead? I don't need any code in the exception.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Calvin
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     QGIS-Developer mailing list
>>     QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org <mailto:QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org>
>>     List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer <https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer>
>>     Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer <https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer>
>>
>     _______________________________________________
>     QGIS-Developer mailing list
>     QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org <mailto:QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org>
>     List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer <https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer>
>     Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer <https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer>
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> QGIS-Developer mailing list
> QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org
> List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer



More information about the QGIS-Developer mailing list