[QGIS-Developer] Two proposals -- moratorium on LLM use, and requiring a "proof of life" for contributors

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Sep 23 06:29:08 PDT 2026


Hi


On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 1:12 PM Greg Troxel via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Tim Sutton via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> writes:
>
> > 1. Define a clear policy that establishes the scope of what is allowed:
> "No
> > LLM assisted code contributions are allowed in the
> > https://github.com/qgis/qgis repository. We know this is difficult to
> > enforce, but if we subsequently discover that you have used and LLM for
> > your contribution, you risk code reversion and contributor rights
> > sanctioning."
>
> I wil observe that during the 2 weeks, it seems reasonable to close
> LLM-containing PRs as low quality, if that's how they are, under
> longstanding norms, or to simply defer paying attention after adding an
> LLM lable.
>

+1 from me

>
> I don't want to derail your proposal at all, but I think it's important
> to also prohibit LLM text in issues, PR descriptions, email lists, chat,
> and all other QGIS forums that are intended to be communication among
> humans.  I have been seeing a lot of this in other projects and find it
> really problematic.  If you think adding that increase controversy, I
> suggest starting a 2nd QEP that addresses "everything but code".
>

Lets deal with one thing at a time :-)



>
> (I agree that CLA vs no-LLM is best kept separate.  I don't think we
> have evidence that people will be genuinely confused if it's the first
> line in the PR template.)
>

Same advice to myself. :-)

Regards

Tim



> _______________________________________________
> QGIS-Developer mailing list
> QGIS-Developer at lists.osgeo.org
> List info: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
>


-- 

Tim Sutton

*Kartoza Cofounder*Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee

*E *: tim at kartoza.com          *W* : kartoza.com



*This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you *
*have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your system. Unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying*
*of the contents is prohibited.*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/attachments/20260923/d32e19d4/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the QGIS-Developer mailing list