[Qgis-psc] Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0 Branched - please read to prepare for 1.0.0 release!

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Dec 18 01:14:20 PST 2008

> Sorry for not  replying sooner but I don't really have a good
> solution. If we set up a paypal account my feeling is that it should
> be a completely separate on from any other account for clarity of
> accounting. I agree it would be great to get paypal / sponsors etc
> sorted out for the release.
>
> For me probably the ideal would probably be if we can form a EU non
> profit organisation 'QGIS.org', open a bank account and have you, Otto
> and Marco as co-signaturies on the account. And then setup paypal to
> put money straight into that account. I dont know if this is even
> possible, but as our financial guru I guess I'm looking to you for
> leadership on this.

I agree, this is the cleanest solution.
However, setting up a non profit organization is not an easy task in
many countries. In Italy we have done this for GFOSS.it, and that costed
usa a few thousand euros, plus 500 euros/year for the accountant, plus a
lot of hassle. It is certainly worth the while for gold and silver
sponsorships, I don't this it is so for donations. That's why I offered
our readymade account for this, but I'm also reluctant to mix up things.
Perhaps in other countries it'll be easier and cheaper? Should we ask
the users list?
All the best.
pc
--