[Qgis-psc] Re: [Qgis-developer] QGIS 1.0 Branched - please read to prepare for 1.0.0 release!

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Dec 18 01:27:30 PST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:14:20 +0100
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> > Sorry for not  replying sooner but I don't really have a good
> > solution. If we set up a paypal account my feeling is that it should
> > be a completely separate on from any other account for clarity of
> > accounting. I agree it would be great to get paypal / sponsors etc
> > sorted out for the release.
> >
> > For me probably the ideal would probably be if we can form a EU non
> > profit organisation 'QGIS.org', open a bank account and have you, Otto
> > and Marco as co-signaturies on the account. And then setup paypal to
> > put money straight into that account. I dont know if this is even
> > possible, but as our financial guru I guess I'm looking to you for
> > leadership on this.
>
> I agree, this is the cleanest solution.
> However, setting up a non profit organization is not an easy task in
> many countries. In Italy we have done this for GFOSS.it, and that costed
> usa a few thousand euros, plus 500 euros/year for the accountant, plus a
> lot of hassle. It is certainly worth the while for gold and silver
> sponsorships, I don't this it is so for donations. That's why I offered
> our readymade account for this, but I'm also reluctant to mix up things.
> Perhaps in other countries it'll be easier and cheaper? Should we ask
> the users list?

In Germany it is cheaper, but not easier at all. And I agree with Paolo, that it
probably isn't worth the effort, until we have some gold and silver sponsors. We
should think about working together with GFOSS.it or the german FOSSGIS e.V. for
that.

There should be a way to separate QGIS related payments from their other
business. Paolo, I could ask the FOSSGIS e.V. if they already have experiece
with it, if you like.

regards,
 Otto