[Qgis-psc] Unofficial Sites

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Tue Dec 2 12:47:29 PST 2014

On 12/2/14 11:12 AM, Werner Macho wrote:
> Hi!
> According to:
>
> Hi all.
> I found a couple of websites that offer download of QGIS:
> http://quantum-gis.softonic.it/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/quantumgis.mirror/
> None of them appears to offer true binaries.
> How do you feel about this?
> All the best.

There is nothing we can do stop this---if you start looking around
you'll find all kinds of sites offering "software" for download. Most
are ad or link farms, or as Werner said, a scam to get you to download
their potential malware.

In other words, it's a waste of time chasing these down, as they'll just
pop up again. If there is a legitimate site offering outdated QGIS, the
it's probably worth a suggestion to just point at our site.

-gary

> I tested the "downloaded" program - and in the first case it is
> nothing else than unwanted "downloader" software..
>
> https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/6eeed2922edf0cca81c650789336c286059e85b79af82450b48f0c136a22c156/analysis/1417550886/
>

> It is more or less detected by antivirus programs .. but I am afraid
> there is nothing we can do against it ..
> People not downloading from the original page - well .. it is their
> own fault.
>
> for sourceforge I have no idea why they still mirror it ..
>
> regards
> Werner

Gary Sherman

Founder, QGIS Project