[Qgis-psc] Some information on a Genossenschaft (cooperative) in Switzerland

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sun Jan 12 13:42:09 PST 2014

Hi

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 10.01.2014, 10:46 Uhr, schrieb Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>:
>
>  Here is an online book on the regulations of a Genossenschaft
>> (cooperative) for you to judge whether this would be a feasible legal
>> entity for QGIS international:
>>
>> http://books.google.ch/books?id=KWRuxYUqWXwC&lpg=PA169&ots=
>> P5BWUv7Ut2&dq=legal%20entities%20in%20Switzerland%
>> 20Genossenschaft&pg=PA166#v=onepage&q=legal%20entities%
>> 20in%20Switzerland%20Genossenschaft&f=false
>>

> According to this presentation about Verein and Genossenschaft (in German,
> [1]), the main difference seems to be that a Verein has non-commercial
> goals (e.g. football club) while a Genossenschaft has commercial goals
> (like the supermarkets Andreas mentioned).
>
> From this perspective, I think a Genossenschaft would be more fitting for
> QGIS but I don't claim to fully understand the topic.

@Anita Wouldn't it be fairer to say that the QGIS organisation will have
non-commercial goals? That is we wish to generate income to defray expenses
and (in my vision of the future) pay salaried people to make QGIS better,
but there would be no shareholders, profit incentives, dividends etc.
Rather any money we generate would be put directly into furthering the
goals of the project.

@Andreas thanks for your input on this by the way!

> Best wishes,
> Anita
>

> [1] http://www.google.at/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=
> 4&cad=rja&ved=0CEwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmoodle.zhaw.ch%
> 2Fpluginfile.php%2F581963%2Fmod_folder%2Fcontent%2F0%2FGesellschaftsrecht%
> 2FVorlesung%2520Genossenschaft%2520und%2520Verein.pdf%
> 3Fforcedownload%3D1&ei=QSvRUqfEDqGm4ATi_4G4BQ&usg=
> AFQjCNFJ9JcWGjaUFU6lkXJChGRycbkIEw&sig2=fmUfd6BNIaJlF2yHKzVH5g&bvm=bv.
> 59026428,d.bGE

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net