[Qgis-psc] Donation management

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Jul 16 23:45:47 PDT 2014

Hi Paolo

On 16/07/2014 12:46, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Thanks to Juergen, handling of donations is now smooth and
> painless. All PayPal donations go to source/site/about/donors.inc,
> and an automatic reply is sent to the donor. I'm deeply grateful to
> Juergen for this.

Cool stuff & thanks Juergen! For clarity the above path refers to the
QGIS-Website repo at

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/blob/master/source/site/about/donors.inc

> Now I think we can leverage on this work to make the whole process
> even more effective.
>
> I think we could: * save the scripts and configs that handle this,
> for future reference and possible updates (I'm not so sure PayPal
> formats will remain untouched) * document the process in the
> governance documents * restart a new list for every new version,
> including all the donations from a specified date (e.g. from
> feature freeze, or from release announcement) * move the old donors
> to a separate list * have the page
> http://qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html with two lists:
>
> List of donors for the current version ...
>
> List of previous donors ...
>
> Possibly the second list could be in a smaller font, or folded by
> default. In this way I hope to motivate people to keep on donating
> for every new version.
>
> We might also: * sort by amount donated * only list donations over
> a certain amount (say, 5 to 10 €). Technical difficulties aside,
> I'm not so sure we really want this. Opinions welcome.
>
> It would also be important to have a report of donations; I think
> PayPal already have this - Horst, could you please confirm, and
> suggest us a way to have it at hand (either the PSC or myself)
> without too much hassle for anyone?
>
> Donations that go directly to our bank account, and to other
> channels (e.g. Flattr) are still to be managed by hand, but due to
> their rarity this is hardly an issue.
>
> All the best, and again many thanks to Juergen and Horst.

What about rather simply making an RST table with the date and current
version (rather than a simple donors list). It would be quite easy to
take that table and write some scripts against it to pull out the info
you are looking for.

Paolo do you have any indication of whether our new 'sponsor us'
campaign on the download page is being effective?

- --

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
 * GIS Training