[Qgis-psc] download/donation teaser

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jun 14 08:37:08 PDT 2014

Hi

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 14-06-14 14:28, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> > Personally the Ubuntu thing annoys me.  I know what the goal is but I
> > find it annoying, so I would be against having this on our site, unless
> > there is a nicer way to do it.
>
> While I actually agree with this: I do not like this kind of in-betweens
> either, I think we have a VERY large user-base which gets all stuff for
> free and (hopefully) needs just a little notch to do something...
>
> So maybe with some better wording? Like: do you know how much pizza's
> get's eaten with a link to one of the big stack of pizza's in Brighton?
>
> What I hope is that we 'raise' the average user to the be a more
> 'active' user, and make them part of the community.

Richard I was thinking more in terms of the page / overlay appearing
*after* the user starts a download. We could use wording like this:

"Your freshly baked copy of QGIS is downloading. QGIS is free of charge,
and will always be free of charge if downloaded from QGIS.org. If you can
afford to support the project and people making this software, please
consider making a small donation to support our efforts. Whether you choose
to donate or not, we hope that you enjoy using our labour of love and
encourage you to share and spread your downloaded copy far and wide so that
others may enjoy it too. Our very best regards!

The QGIS Team"

>  Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

 * QGIS programming services