[Qgis-psc] Contributor guidelines and code copyright

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 24 05:15:16 PDT 2014

Hi

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have one small question regarding our contributor guidelines.
>
> Am I right that QGIS project is an owner of all code contributed to it by
> authors and contributors? So every person that accepted contributor
> guidelines and/or submitted patch also transfer/assign all rights on this
> code to QGIS project.

As I understand, when copyright is assigned to the QGIS project, the project
> can act to stop GPL violations about the QGIS. Otherwise, legal actions are
> up to the code author(s).
>
> Seems our contributor guidelines miss this important information.

I think we have discussed this in the past but have never made this a
requirement - individual contributions are still copyright to their
original contributors. There are mare projects that do request transfer of
copyright but doing this retroactively is going to be hard (to track down
all contributors and keep track of what has been transferred). Also from
some discussions I have seen, such copyright transfer makes the project
less attractive to contributors as it fosters a certain amount of distrust
in the upstream project.

> Alexander Bruy

 * QGIS programming services
 * GeoDjango web development