[Qgis-psc] Trademark issues

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Oct 13 01:03:28 PDT 2014

Il 11/10/2014 13:25, Nathan Woodrow ha scritto:

> I think changing the name there makes sense.  Permission to use sounds a lot less
> scary then sublicence, and also a lot less complicated.

agreed; as you may know, the page has been derived from the Linux Foundation, where
sublicencing is a real issue - much less for us.

IMHO we have two different issues:
* general use of QGIS in initiative that could be in line (or not) with our
objectives: in this case, a simple check and authorization (conditional on the
respect of some guidelines, see the Debian page) should be enough; in some case, this
could involve a fee
* QGIS-something products: this would probably warrant a sublicence, and the costs of
it should be covered by the organization requiring it (with a possible overhead for
QGIS itself).

I beg everybody (and especially PSC) to express their opinion, so as to have a
definite policy in act. We keep on receiving enquiries, and I think they deserve a
definite reply in a reasonable time.

All the best, and thanks.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu