[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

HAUBOURG regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Thu Apr 16 11:43:20 PDT 2015

Hi,
again, I really can't understand squeezing the very next release now, a month before feature freeze.

For a major break, good practices should be:
 - announce it publicly at least two minor versions before
 - finish old branch on a LTR version and announce it so that feature are not added in that branch
 - not break API too often. 2.0 was.. less than two years ago.

Please QGIS PSC members hear that: Going Fast is good. Going too fast always will make you loose contributors.

I can't test correctly anymore since the 4 months release cycle, that is less than a year old. I couldn't keep up with testing.
 Breaking all plugins again will loose me once again since I was about to launch contracts to port my plugins to core. I won't be able to port them to Python 3 by myself, no time, no skills, I need a contract.
I have a budget to handle, and that budget is planned every year, not every 4 months. I won't fund plugin upgrade AND porting to core, this was not in the plans. So core feature will not benefit of a professional reliable custom labeling option.

Other point, did someone investigate on python libs. Are they all ported to python3?

Making decisions too fast will cost us time, money, and worst, confidence. Please keep up to what was announced, 2.10, and switch it to LTR.

RĂ©gis