[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Apr 17 13:36:32 PDT 2015

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, 17. Apr 2015 at 16:31:46 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> 1. Does the composer change require QGIS 3 (not totally convinced yet)?

That was the decision Nyall asked for.  Either we allow revision of the API for
the rewrite, which would be an API break and by convention require a major
release or the new composer is implemented using different class names (like
previously done with labeling and symbology), do just a minor release and phase
out the original classes some time later.

I thought we agreed to allow to modify the API.  I don't think it would have a
big impact on many other things and therefore don't see a big problem with
that.

I don't know why the PyQt5/Python3 transition is suddenly tied into this.

> 2. What should be the driver for QGIS 3?
>  2a) External dependencies (E.g. Debian Jessie+1 is going to remove Qt4 [1])
>  2b) Internal changes (composer? low level things like feature API,
> geometry, expression...)

I don't see there is a urgent need to do the transition.  stretch (jessie+1)
will probably not release before 2018 and will also still have python2 [2].

But we would meanwhile break qgis for all systems that don't have
qt5/pyqt5/python3 - until now we also supported older platforms.

And for OSGeo4W it would mean that it would have to have both versions of qt,
pyqt and python in there if we do it now as there is also 2.8 requiring the
previous version to maintain.

Bottom line: far more pain than gain.

AFAICS the transition could also happen after 2.8 is phased out.

But is there actually somebody working on the transition?   If so, they can
probably comment on how far it is, when it might be ready, what new
requirements comes with, which packaging changes are required, what migration
steps are necessary etc. etc.

And then we decide which release slot it could be merged in (better shortly
after a new release than just in time before a feature freeze).

IMHO it should only be necessary to revise the release schedule when we expect
that we won't be able to merge something and get it into a releaseable state in
one slot.

The release schedule is there so people can plan their efforts - and probably
people did.

Jürgen

[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/04/msg00005.html

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode