[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Apr 21 00:55:02 PDT 2015

Hi

> On 21 Apr 2015, at 08:05, Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On 04/21/2015 07:04 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> What about the missing support on Debian sid?
>> All the best.
>
> That will only affect the next release (debian stretch, about 2 to 3
> years from now) so no immediate reason given.
>
> On 04/20/2015 10:42 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> I would suggest that we just leave things as they are for now and keep
>> on trucking with 2.x releases for the next year or so.
>
> To help my understanding: Is the topic to be re-discussed in a year or
> do you expect the switch to happen in a year or so?
> It would be good to have such a change announced about a year in advance
> to be able to properly plan it. In explicit, I'd like to avoid the
> situation where we are forced into doing a quick switch for urgent reasons.

What I would propose is that we plan to get the next LTR release out and widely advertise at that time that we are planning to break API after the LTR for the next release - if we have concluded at that point that we have a compelling reason to do so. In the build up to that (i.e. before the LTR is released next year) we can lay out the plans for what will be done in the 3.0.