[Qgis-psc] Spanish FOSS4G + QGIS Int. Conf. + QGIS Hack Fest

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Tue Dec 8 07:05:20 PST 2015

Dear Lluis

I raised your email in our last PSC meeting. I did not receive too much feedback so I will incorporate inline the thoughts of those who did provide feedback.

> On 01 Dec 2015, at 17:59, Lluís Vicens <lluis at sigte.udg.es> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> It's time to take one step forward because time is short and there are lots of things to do!

Yes!

> I would like to announce that within this week we will release and publish the website for the Spanish Foss4g and obviously, the information that coinciding with our tenth anniversary, we are also organizing an International QGIS Conference as well as a QGIS code/hack fest/sprint or whatever you like to name it.
>
> The general overview of the week is:
>
> Monday 23rd: Arrival of Spanish FOSS4G attendants
> Tuesday 24th: Keynotes and Parallel sessions of the Spanish Foss4G
> Wednesday 25th: QGIS Int. Conf. Workshops // Spanish Foss4G Workshops
> Thursday 26th: Keynotes and regular program of the QGIS Int. Conference
> Friday, Saturday, Sunday (27th to 29th): QGIS Hack Fest

This sounds perfect.

> Now, let's put the focus on practical issues about logistics and organization. Let me break it into small and manageable pieces:
>
> 1. QGIS Conference + QGIS Hack Fest
>
> We basically assume that QGIS conference derived costs are mainly covered by us, while the hack fest costs are covered by QGIS. Am I right?

I think this is a fair way to do it. If there is some profit calculations in your costings for the conference, it would be great to use this as a vehicle to channel some funds back into the QGIS project.

> Following that assumption, we are in charge to cover the venue costs as well as catering costs for the whole week: QGIS Conf. + QGIS Workshops. All these mentioned costs, plus the derived costs from the Spanish foss4g should be covered through sponsorship and registration fees.

Ok this sounds excellent.

> 2. Sponsorships
>
> We will actively look for sponsorship for the Spanish Foss4g as well as for the QGIS Conf. and we would like to know if you, from the QGIS project, can you help us in this task, contacting potential international sponsors?

Paolo Cavallini is generally in charge of managing sponsorships and if he is willing I would suggest we ask him to help with this.

> 3. Registration fees
>
> We want to set a registration fee as low as possible for allowing anyone interested in the conference to come, but at the same time, that help us to cover all the expenses generated by the conference. We are considering the following fees:
>
> a) Spanish FOSS4G = 100€
> b) Spanish Foss4G + Workshops = 150€
> c) QGIS Conf. + Workshops = 150€
> d) Spanish Foss4G + QGIS Conference + Workshops = 200€
>
> The registration fee will include the entrance to the conference + coffee breaks and lunch + informal dinner

That sounds good - I would suggest that we also have an optional ‘commercial ticket’ that those from companies can pay an extra amount which will be channelled into QGIS as sponsorship. Lene can you comment on how well that worked last time?

Ideally we should offer to waive the fees for workshop presenters.

> 4. Spanish Foss4G + QGIS Conf. Program
>
> In the case of the Spanish Foss4G, we are in charge to configure the conference program (call for papers // call for workshops // keynotes // ...). How do you want to proceed in the case of the QGIS conf. program? Are you considering to manage the program by your own? Do you have your own Conference Committee? Do you need our help for organizing the program? Should we cooperate in this point?

This is only our second user conference. The first was organised (most excellently!) by Lene. Lene would you be able to take on this role again? Louis I think we should definitely cooperate on this because any of our PSC collaborating on this will be doing it remotely an I think it will be important to have someone who is close to your team but invested in making sure the QGIS event goes well.

> 5. QGIS Hack Fest
> 5.1 - Rooms // Beds for developers (Thursday to Sunday)
>
> Regarding to the accommodation, we can proceed in several ways:
>
> a) We already booked and blocked 26 rooms/beds for you, at the monastery.

Great. Can you give an indication of rates for the monastery rooms?

> Now, we can manage booking some rooms/beds at the hostel. In that case, we should know the exact number of rooms and beds that you will need from 25th (¿?) to 29th.

And can you give the rates / details for this hostel too. I think it will be difficult to know how many will come to the hostel and rather than block booking it, it might be better to let individuals book there independently.

> The important thing is, that you already have 26 places at the monastery. Some of the bedrooms are double rooms, some other are single room. I hope that this is not a problem for you.

Yes in the past this was no problem.

> b) Besides of having these 26 beds at the monastery, we can let the other participants to freely choose where they want to stay in Girona (hostel, hotels, apartments, ...). In that case, you should decide who will make use of the monastery (26 places) and who should be accommodated in hostels/hotels/...
>
> In the last case, we can offer you a list of different possibilities at different prices.

OK perfect.

> 5.2 Food, dinner and lunch
>
> There is the possibility to serve the lunch and the dinner on the monastery for 40/50 people. At the time that we approach the booking dates, you should define if you desire a full board or a half board booking, for those who will stay on the monastery. For those who will be accommodated in a different hotel, hostel, they should decide if they want to have the lunch and the dinner in the monastery, or to go outside.

Ok I think most people will go with the lunch and dinner at the monastery so that they can spend the most amount of time hacking. We would probably want to have one evening (e.g. Saturday evening) out at a different venue.

> There are probably plenty of questions and doubts to solve, but these are the main ones by now, at least from our perspective

Ok thanks.

So I think the main thing I need is:

For the hackfest

* url and details for the conference page
* url etc. for the monastery
* url etc. for the hostel
* will you handle registrations via your conference registration for the hackfest or should we do that separately?

For the conference:

* Venue details
* Sign up etc. details for possible attendees
* Outward link to the workshop registrations etc which we will establish, or host the workshop registration on your conference software page if it is able
* Clarification of how the costings and potential profit sharing would work, probably easiest for Andreas (QGIS treasurer) and your treasurer to collaborate on this stuff
* Confirmation if the workshop presenters need to pay to attend or if we can offer them a free pass?
* Indication of how many rooms and capacity of rooms there will be so that we can plan a workshop programme and some plenary talks.

Thats all I can think of for now.

By the way my skype is “timlinux” or if you want I will give you my personal phone number - if you need answers faster than what I can get to with my email, please ring me as needed.

> Best regards,
> Lluís
>
> PS: Feel free to forward this message to the qgis-psc list. By the way, if you think that I should be subscribed to this list (to get a more fluent communication with the rest of the QGIS - PSC people), please, just let me know.

The PSC list is an open list, anyone may subscribe and post to it, so you are most welcome!

—

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
tim at qgis.org