[Qgis-psc] Proposal that QGIS.ORG will become a member of the OpenDesign Alliance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Dec 15 06:37:18 PST 2015

Hi QGIS.ORG board,

As you may be aware, Jürgen I worked on a proposal to allow import of
CAD data into QGIS. Jürgen provided an offer.

We plan to use the Teigha library of the OpenDesign Alliance (ODA)
(https://www.opendesign.com/the_oda_platform/Teigha). It isn't GPL
compatible and it requires a membership fee with annual renewal.

I was investigating whether OSGEO could become a member - this is
theoretically possible, but it would require a higher and more expensive
membership level than as if QGIS.ORG would become a member. I would thus
propose that QGIS.ORG becomes a sustaining member of the ODA, which
would allow to distribute binaries of the Teigha library for all of our
supported platforms, along with the QGIS binaries.$

Financially, the sustaining membership level would mean US $5000.- in
the first year and US $3000.- annual renewal in the subsequent years. I
would propose that QGIS.ORG would pay this membership fees from the
QGIS.ORG funds - and if you agree - will include it into our 2016
budget. See https://www.opendesign.com/Sustaining

I will propose to make this decision dependent on our ability to raise
the 32k Euros required to pay Jürgen for the QGIS-side development. So
far I only have confirmations for about 10k Euros. Still some work to
raise the full amount.

Do you have any questions regarding this proposal?

Thanks,