[Qgis-psc] Proposal that QGIS.ORG will become a member of the OpenDesign Alliance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Dec 15 12:28:36 PST 2015

Hi Vincent, Strk and others,

First, let me know that this is my personal proposal and not the
proposal of the QGIS.ORG board. I happen to be on the QGIS.ORG board,
but the board did not endorse my proposal.

Second - the open design alliance (ODA) is  a non-profit organization.
But - it has to find a sustainable way of funding. They need to employ
people to work on reverse engineering the unspecified DWG format
developed by Autodesk. While I agree with you, that it would be better
if they would have memberships and still release the code in the open,
this is not up for me/us to decide. Maybe - if ODA was founded today, it
would have taken the route of open-sourcing their work - but back then
in 1998, when it was founded - this was not the standard route to take.
It is the ODA members who decide about their policies.

So let me state: by being an ODA member I am not funding a regular
proprietary software vendor, but helping to sustain the income of a
non-profit organization. ODA is a self-help organization of CAD vendors
and projects that need to compete or interoperate with the market leader
Autodesk.

If I had 500k Euros in my chest, I would wholeheartedly agree with you
and fund the LibreDWG project to do a good job. Unfortunately this is
not the reality. I even have a hard time getting the 32k necessary to
pay Jürgen to implement the CAD/DWG import functionality.

I am trying to be pragmatic. I would like to have a solution for a
problem that most communal GIS managers have. Architects deliver data in
DWG and DXF format and we need to review against our GIS data. We also
need to integrate CAD data in our database, or use it as digitizing
background, also being able to snap against CAD data sources. My
employer, along with many other GIS manager on the municipality level,
needs to find a timely solution with a modest budget.

If you help me put together a fund-raising campaign to bring LibreDWG
into a usable state, I am very much willing to propose LibreDWG instead
of the Teigha library. Note, however, that the Teigha library is
significantly more advanced than LibreDWG. It also has sustainable
funding to keep it up-to-date with recent versions of DWG.

Vincent, Strk and others - it is easy to criticize the board. But where
is the alternative? Something that can be delivered within 2016? On a
high quality level? With a small budget <50k Euros?

Again - if you can help me find a real alternative I would be more than
happy to follow that alternative route.

We can decide to be hard core GPL and fight everything else - but then
we will most likely remain a niche project. Or we can be pragmatic, do
compromises where reasonable, without betraying our core values, and we
have the chance of making a real difference for many people and
organizations in a meaningful timeframe.

This is my personal opinion,
Andreas