[Qgis-psc] Proposal that QGIS.ORG will become a member of the OpenDesign Alliance

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Dec 17 08:08:38 PST 2015

Hi Saber,

The dxf2shape plugin is a current possible workaround, but far from
ideal. Definitely what we want to use in the future.

The problems that come to my mind are:
- you loose all styling
- you loose text labels
- you have to manually restyle stuff (if you still can)
- you have to go through this nasty old file format "ESRI shape" that we
really want to retire soon
- no curve support
- it is complicated and more time consuming
- there are probably even more drawbacks and problems that don't come to
my mind immediately, regarding this approach

I would not recommend to invest in the dxf2shape plugin, but rather have
a more direct provider that provides more information about the CAD
objects, such as built around libdxfrw or Teigha (please don't stone me
to death if I still list Teigha as an alternative ;-) ...)

Andreas