[Qgis-psc] Credits for contributors

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Fri Feb 27 11:16:31 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Hi all.
> Here my suggestions for acknowledging the important role of contributors.
> ===
> 1. In the Governance docs:
> http://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/index.html
>
> Individuals, institutions and firms who contributed code to QGIS can let
> people know about their contribution by:
> * adding a short note on the commit itself (something like "Developed
> with funding from ...) [did we agree on this?]

​)mho we pretty much agreed on
​
"funded by ..." and a max N of words, see
http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/PSC_Meeting_7_Feb_2014 ​

16:20 <@anitagraser> 1. would be "giving credit to funders"

16:21 <@anitagraser> ideas were: a) in code/comment, b) in commit
messages, c) in release log, ....  any more?

16:21 < pcav> I think commits are most appropriate
16:22 < pcav> but we should agree on a standard formula

16:22 <@anitagraser> pcav: standard text to put in the commit message?
16:22 < pcav> like
​​
"funded by ..." and a max N of words

16:23 < duiv> if we only do it in the release log, it does not
accumulate in the code
16:24 < duiv> and we do not have trouble with 'first version funded by
A', second by B and finally fixed by C

16:25 <@anitagraser> vote for b)?
16:25 < pcav> +1
16:25 <@anitagraser> +1
16:26 < jef> we vote for what?  allow commiters to add a comment about
how funded their work and forbid to put it into the source?
16:27 < duiv> if it is ok for the funders: +1 but if I would for
example have raised a couple of thousand euro's to implement
something... not sure if I would be ok with a commit msg
16:27 < jef> s/add a comment/add a comment into the commit message/

16:28 < pcav> jef: not really allowing or forbidding
16:28 < pcav> but giving guidelines

16:31 < duiv> jef: as a code warrior, what do you prefer?
16:32 < jef> duiv: a comment in the commit is acceptable to me -
although it's unnessary clutter, too.

16:33 < duiv> ok, so the verdict? We prefer to do credits in commit
msgs, not in code anymore?
16:33 < pcav> me and anitagraser voted
16:33 < duiv> +1
16:34 < pcav> jef: ?
16:34 < jef> 0

Sorry for not putting it down in the gov docs after that meeting.

Best wishes,
Anita​