[Qgis-psc] Proposal to invest into improved Geopackage support

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jul 22 05:26:05 PDT 2015

Hi,

I would propose that we invest 1-2 dev-weeks into someone who improves
our geopackage support that we can sooner or later retire ESRI
shapefiles.

I would like to see the following improvements:

- proper support in DB-manager (or is someone working on this already?)

- for all of the vector operations (menu vector) I would like to see a
possibility to save the output in Geopackage (plus potentially in every
supported format)

- test that our generated Geopackage actually can be opened in other GIS
- this can also be outsourced to our users ...

I think that this should be a core effort, as most users would benefit,
but for many years no organization was willing to pay for it, including
my own organization.

What do you think?