[Qgis-psc] Proposal to invest into improved Geopackage support

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jul 22 08:09:54 PDT 2015

Il 22/07/2015 14:26, Neumann, Andreas ha scritto:

> I would propose that we invest 1-2 dev-weeks into someone who improves
> our geopackage support that we can sooner or later retire ESRI shapefiles.
> I think that this should be a core effort, as most users would benefit,
> but for many years no organization was willing to pay for it, including
> my own organization.
>
> What do you think?

Hi Andreas,
I agree that supporting gpkg is an important feature. I have opened a
few tickets about specific issues.
I'm not so sure power users are not interested in developing this
directly: as gpkg use spreads out, I believe someone will need it.
Moreover, the support in gdal is improving at every version, so waiting
a bit until gdal support is consolidated might be a good strategy.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu