[Qgis-psc] Proposal to do initiate a dev project for each QGIS release

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 30 00:44:55 PDT 2015

Hi,

I would like to propose that PSC initiates a small project for each
future QGIS release, in addition to our bug fixing initiative.

I would propose projects that are important to QGIS or our
infrastructure, but are not easy to "sell" for organizations who
typically pay for feature development.

Here is a list of suggestions:

* Introduce Geopackage support throughout QGIS
* finish multithreading work - I believe there is still work to be done
on rasters and/or WFS?
* Introduce shared style and SVG symbols repository
* upgrade WFS to properly handle versions 1.3 and 1.1
* Partially support Nyalls rewrite of print composer and reporting framework

Probably other PSC members would have additional ideas.

I would propose to pay one dev plus/minus one week to work on such a
project for now. Later we can re-discuss it and align it with our
funding possibilities.

Do you agree that it would make sense to support such a project for each
release?

If yes - who decides? PSC or should we ask our users through voting? Who
would propose projects?

Thank you for your thoughts?