[Qgis-psc] A better system for voting

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue May 19 12:38:06 PDT 2015

Hi All

I want to propose that we adopt a better system for voting and recording votes. My issues with the current situation are:

* it is often unclear what the definitive outcome to decisions is
* it is often unclear what the proposal being voted on is
* our voting process is often not properly time bounded - so it is unclear when voting is concluded
* we don’t have  a proper log of decisions so it is hard to refer back and see what has been decided in the past

These concerns apply both to QGIS PSC decisions and to general discussions requiring agreement on the developer mailing list.

I am proposing that we use a service like Loomio (see test group here: https://www.loomio.org/g/EKV14L8A/qgis <https://www.loomio.org/g/EKV14L8A/qgis>) to manage our voting process and address the above concerns. Andreas has also proposed that we could use google forms to manage this process. Perhaps others have alternative ideas that can work well? Preferably we should have a solution that requires little manual intervention and allows everyone to either call a vote or participate in a vote.

By the way loomio is open source and available either as a self hosted or hosted solution. It also allows you to download an archive copy of the decision history.

—

* Desktop GIS programming services
* Geospatial web development
* GIS Training