[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: signing and downloads of QGIS Mac OS X installer

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Fri Nov 6 05:29:41 PST 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: signing and downloads of QGIS Mac OS X installer
Date: 	Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:18:44 -0600
From: 	Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>
To: 	Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>

Hi Richard,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com
<mailto:larrys at dakotacarto.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde
    <richard at duif.net <mailto:richard at duif.net>> wrote:

        On 07-10-15 19:23, Larry Shaffer wrote:

        > *Please let me know if the QGIS PSC is OK with Boundless
providing these
        > packages.* If OK, then I can work on getting this ready for
the 2.12
        > release and move the nightly builds to their server. They
would like
        > some recognition for doing the donated packaging. I suggested
that the
        > DMG installer window could have something like "Packaged by
Boundless
        > for the QGIS Project" as part of a background image, and a
note and link
        > in the README. Beyond those small acknowledgements, the
applications
        > themselves would have *absolutely no branding*. Boundless wants to
        > support FOSS4G projects and this is one way they can help.

        Hi Larry,

        Sorry for not coming back earlier, I do not want to lose
        momentum, but
        time...

        Your plans sound very cool, I brought it to the PSC and
        everybody (off
        course) likes the offer very much. But we question the idea of
        the kind
        of 'packaged by'-message IN the installer: we do not want that
        in the
        installer itself.

        We understand it, but would ask if the acknowledgement can be
        done in a
        more neutral way: eg: on the website a line below every installer
        telling that the dmg package is provided by xxx, or an entry in the
        about box.

        Can you please ask if that is negotiable and let us know if the
        offer is
        still valid then?

    It is certainly negotiable. They said "sure!" to having the website
    line under the download link (and no background image notification),
    but would like to know if "Provided by Boundless" can also have a
    link to http://boundlessgeo.com, and whether a small logo can be added.

    For situations where the DMG installer is distributed without users
    going to the download page, a simple acknowledgement line at the end
    of the README inside the DMG would work, or something in the About
    dialog (though I am unsure where in that dialog would be
    appropriate). Regarding the latter, I would prefer not to touch any
    of the source tree during compilation, only QGIS.app bundle items or
    DMG contents.

    The README is necessary since it explains how to use the .app bundle
    for developing plugins and should contain info on licensing, source
    code download, etc.

Any update on a PSC response to this? ^^

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota