[Qgis-psc] Estiating volunteer work

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Nov 15 07:42:32 PST 2015

Hi

> On 15 Nov 2015, at 17:32, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
> Hi all,
> during the HF we decided it would be important to estimate how much of
> the work necessary to keep the current structure in place is done thanks
> to volunteer work. I've therefoe asked, but most people seems
> uninterested in providing even rough data for this.
> Therefore I think we have either to leave without, or try a different
> approach to estimate it.
> Opinions welcome.
>
> ​Hi Paolo,
>
> Maybe we have to ask people directly. For example, I would find it interesting to know how much effort it is to just keep our infrastructure running (maintenance, updates).
> We could also ask some core devs how much time they spend on PRs.
>
> Maybe the initial request was too open ended …

Yes I agree - I think it might be easier to make a questionnaire  with specific questions like:

On average how many hours do you spend a week on QGIS activities that are not paid for by your employer or clients:

0 - 2 hours
2 - 4 hours
4 - 8 hours
1 - 2 days
2 - 5 days

On average how many hours do you spend a week on QGIS activities that ARE  paid for by your employer or clients:

0 - 2 hours
2 - 4 hours
4 - 8 hours
1 - 2 days
2 - 5 days

etc...

And yes we could slice the groupings up in some other way if you prefer... We might want to also separate core activities versus building contributed stuff.