[Qgis-psc] outstanding issues

ElPaso elpaso at itopen.it
Fri Nov 20 00:47:44 PST 2015

Il 20/11/2015 09:26, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
> On 13-11-15 19:44, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> On 13 Nov 2015, at 20:40, Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear PSC, good afternoon,
>>>
>>> as I said this are not recent issues, and in my point of view very
>>> very bad.
>>>
>> Andreas could we allocate some funds for taking care of this and
>> releasing 2.8.4? It seems like a very good way to spend donated project
>> money.
> Hi Tim,
>
> I miss your email in which you stated the 3 FTools options, and copy
> your options below from the lists.osgeo.org lists:
>
> (From Tim's email:)>>>
> So I see three options:
>
> 1) make small band-aid fixes to fix immediate issues
> 2) try to sponsor e.g. Nyall or Jürgen to completely rewrite in C++ and
> have python bindings added so that they can be used from processing
> 3) try to sponsor e.g. Victor to implement as processing algs and then
> just wrap them as actions in the vector menu
> <<< (End copy Tim's email)
>
> One point I like to make is that I think point 2 looks like a waste of
> time and energy to me, IF(!) it is really true that SP already did this
> but keeping it for their own version until they have time to merge.
> Off course everybody has the right to sell and make money from QGIS, but
> having a seat in PSC and keeping stuff away from your own community does
> not sound OK to me.
> But I hope I'm just plain wrong and do not understand the problem :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

Sorry if I also missed some email, can the PSC give an update about the
status of the (hopefully) ongoing discussions with SP for the release of
the C++ fTools port?

IIRC in Las Palmas, it was decided that the PSC on behalf of the QGIS
community should have officially asked to SP clarifications about that.

I'd strongly avoid duplicated efforts: if somebody has already done the
porting job, we can probably just ask them to release the code and even
purchase a licence if necessary.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3: www.itopen.it