[Qgis-psc] outstanding issues

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Nov 20 01:01:10 PST 2015

Hi

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 10:47, ElPaso <elpaso at itopen.it> wrote:
>
> Il 20/11/2015 09:26, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:
>> On 13-11-15 19:44, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> Andreas could we allocate some funds for taking care of this and
>>> releasing 2.8.4? It seems like a very good way to spend donated project
>>> money.
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I miss your email in which you stated the 3 FTools options, and copy
>> your options below from the lists.osgeo.org lists:
>>
>> (From Tim's email:)>>>
>> So I see three options:
>>
>> 1) make small band-aid fixes to fix immediate issues
>> 2) try to sponsor e.g. Nyall or Jürgen to completely rewrite in C++ and
>> have python bindings added so that they can be used from processing
>> 3) try to sponsor e.g. Victor to implement as processing algs and then
>> just wrap them as actions in the vector menu
>> <<< (End copy Tim's email)
>>
>> One point I like to make is that I think point 2 looks like a waste of
>> time and energy to me, IF(!) it is really true that SP already did this
>> but keeping it for their own version until they have time to merge.
>> Off course everybody has the right to sell and make money from QGIS, but
>> having a seat in PSC and keeping stuff away from your own community does
>> not sound OK to me.
>> But I hope I'm just plain wrong and do not understand the problem :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Duivenvoorde
>>

> Sorry if I also missed some email, can the PSC give an update about the status of the (hopefully) ongoing discussions with SP for the release of the C++ fTools port?
>
> IIRC in Las Palmas, it was decided that the PSC on behalf of the QGIS community should have officially asked to SP clarifications about that.

Yes I have done it. See my previous email.

> I'd strongly avoid duplicated efforts: if somebody has already done the porting job, we can probably just ask them to release the code and even purchase a licence if necessary.

Again see my previous email, it seems this is not on the table at the moment.

Yes I also don’t like the idea of duplicating code. I’d also like to keep good relations with SP as they have a long history of contributions and support of the QGIS project, so if they don’t wish to share the code back to QGIS upstream, I think we should respect that and make an alternative plan, even if it is not the ideal situation. I laid out 3 options in my previous email….perhaps just band-aiding the fTools issues is the most pragmatic until SP are ready to share their C++ reimplementation upstream.

Alex has also mentioned other work to port it to c++ so maybe we should look at that and see how much work it will be to get that production ready….