[Qgis-psc] outstanding issues

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Fri Nov 20 09:44:43 PST 2015

> On 20 Nov 2015, at 16:42, Vincent Picavet (ml) <vincent.ml at oslandia.com <mailto:vincent.ml at oslandia.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> On 20/11/2015 09:53, Tim Sutton wrote:
> [...]
>> SP have indicated that they do not have time to back port it now to QGIS
>> upstream and when I asked if they will back port if we can fund it they
>> indicated they consider it as a ‘value add’ to their customers (Marco /
>> Pirmin please correct my statements if I misinterpreted your message)
>> which they are not yet ready to pass on upstream. Obviously that is not
>> ideal but we cannot force them to contribute their changes back hence my
>> suggestion for 2).
>
> I do not really see how this position can be sustainable on the long run.
> Especially with QGIS being GPLv2, the ftools C++ port is GPL-licenced too.
> Which means that anyone being in possession of QGIS Enterprise would be
> allowed to claim the source code, and distribute it on GitHub for QGIS
> master integration.

Yes that is a possibly, but personally I think it would be much nicer to accept such a contribution with SP consent and agreement rather than trying to end-run around them.

Folks can I ask that we move the thread back to the practical issues of plotting a roadmap to solving our FTools issues rather than pursuing this avenue which is a dead-end in terms of getting a usable FTools into the hands of our users.

QGIS Project Steering Committee Member
tim at qgis.org <mailto:tim at qgis.org>