[Qgis-psc] Sourcepole offer to port QGIS vector analysis tool to QGIS master

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Nov 24 02:58:10 PST 2015

Hi QGIS.ORG board,

As you may know, Sourcepole developed the Vector analysis tools from
Scratch for QGIS enterprise. They are apparently willing to port it into
QGIS master - but there are several things missing. They would do the
missing parts for 25k CHF (Swiss franks) - it probably also contains a
smaller share of the initial dev costs they had.

The missing bits are:

- porting into QGIS master

- moving the code from plugin to QGIS core analysis library

- create Python bindings

- create unit tests

-----------------------

What they already did:

Complete Rewrite in C++ of:

- Convex Hull

- Buffer

- Intersect

- Union

- Symmetric difference

- Clip

- Difference

- Dissolve

- Eliminate sliver poylgons

It allows to save the result as any OGR format, supports multi-threading
and comes with a detailed error log in case of problems with invalid
geometries.

---------------------------

Some additional background: they already invested >200 hours for the
re-development of the above methods. This equals about 35 kCHF.

Timing: they could probably do it for the QGIS 2.16 release (feature
freeze May 20, 2016). They are busy with contracts - they cannot do it
earlier with the resources they have.

To me, personally, this sounds like a good offer.

We would have to find a solution for our short-term problems with fTools
- but to me this is a very good proposal to have a good fTools
replacement in the future.