[Qgis-psc] Possible venue for March 2016 QGIS Hackfest

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Sep 26 00:11:41 PDT 2015

Hi Lluís

8<————snip-------------

>> Tim
> Good afternoon Tim, Luigi, et all.,
>
> I would like to apologize for my delay on responding to your emails.

No problem, same from me!

> I would like to thank Luigi for pushing forward this again. As you can imagine we are happy to be considered a potential host for the next hack & user meeting of QGIS here in Girona, during the upcoming Spanish FOSS4G.

Great!

> Now, we are starting to plan our tenth conference, someday between mid May and first half of June. We usually organize the conference on March but we are considering moving the dates until May. We hope that this won't be an inconvenience for you.

I think this would be ok. It will leave only 4 months between the user meeting and Bonn in August - OK for me but it would be good to hear from others on the PSC if they think it will be a problem….

> The Spanish Foss4g usually take 2-3 days so, and depending on the expected duration of the hack and user meeting, we can spend the whole week to run the hack fest, the qgis user meeting, the Spanish foss4g, as well as the workshops of the Spanish foss4g that could be a combination of the QGIS user meeting and the Spanish foss4g

I think we could do two days for the user meeting - one for talks and presentations, and one for workshops. Lene (in CC) ran the Nødebo user conference and it would be good to get feedback from her as to whether that format will work. What  if we can have something like:

Mon - FOSS4G Spain
Tue - FOSS4G Spain
Wed - FOSS4G Spain & QGIS Workshops
Thurs - QGIS User conference talks and presentations
Fri - Sun - QGIS Hackfrest

?

> Regarding to the items that Luigi pointed out in his previous email:
>
> a) ideal dates: A date between mid May and first half of June

I guess given the closeness to Bonn, and our traditional timeframe of around March, mid May would be better for us

> b) any costs we may need to cover: Any help from you part will be welcome. Collecting sponsorship is not an easy task so it's important for us to know if there is any existing budget to cover some expenses and costs. Which amount of the total cost could be covered by QGIS and which percentage should be covered by the organization of the Spanish Foss4G?

In the last fee, Lene asked a registration fee - Lene could you give an idea of how much was covered by fees and how much of the costs were covered by QGIS and other funding sources?

> c) venue information: There are various options to consider for the venue, the University and its own installations, and the Conference Centre of Girona [1]. Depending on the expected attendance, the best place should be the Conference Centre but we want to wait for a more concise reply. We ideally would know how many (aprox.) programmers will attend the hack meeting and how many people will  attend the conference?

Typically we would try to find a venue that is close to the accommodation and that has cheap accommodation so that participants can mingle during event hours and after event hours. One nice option would be if we could time the event to coincide with University holidays and get access to student accommodation over that period.

> d) transport options: travelling to Girona it's quite easy from the Girona airport even from the Barcelona airport. Shuttle buses connects Girona airport with the city, and trains and buses connects Barcelona and Girona. On the other hand, reaching the venue from any hotel in Girona is quite easy and it should no take more than 15 minutes walking.

Ok that sounds perfect.

> e) accommodation options: In terms of programmers and the hack meeting, the University has some apartments in the Montilivi Campus. We could ask for special conditions.

Ok that would be first prize I think.

> In cany case, there is a good range of hotels, hostels and bed and breakfast in the city.

Ok great.

> In order to start thinking in organizing a QGIS hack & user meeting, there are some questions that we need to clarify in order to organize it in the best way.
>
> So, in summary, we need to know some numbers to look for the ideal place/venue for both activities.
>
> a) How many programmers would attend the hack meeting?

I think we can expect around 30-40 programmers for the hack meeting - possible more if the timing works well.

> Which are your special needs to run a successful hack meeting? Rooms, WiFi, food, drink,

Having a few spaces, at least one venue with an LCD projector, whiteboards or flip charts are useful. WIFI yes please! Food and drink - we normally have a selection of healthy snacks (fruit, breads, spreads, juice, tea, coffee etc) out for attendees to enjoy through the day.

> b) How many attendants would land in Girona for the QGIS User Meeting? I know you said 100/200 attendants but if we can manage a more concrete number... :) About 150?

I think the best might be if we limit the numbers to what you can reasonable handle and to what makes it economically viable. The sooner we can firm up the venue and start advertising for registration, the more confidence we can have in the number of attendees. Again, Lene please contribute any thoughts here.

> c) Is there any existing budget (QGIS project via sponsors, OSGeo, ...) to cover the activities (or at least a part) or should we cover all the hack & users meeting costs via sponsorship? In that case, would you help us to look for some sponsorship?

For budget items Andreas and for sponsorships Paolo will probably have better inputs than myself. Typically we would contribute towards the event from QGIS funds, but also as event organisers to see what they can donate (venue, cheap accommodation etc) and then call for wider sponsorship. I think we could probably establish some kind of event sponsorship programme too to try to attract corporate sponsors.

> d) How long it would take the hackmeeting? 2-3 days?

Yes usually arriving thurs night and then hacking fri, sat, and sun morning leaving in the afternoon. Many times we have a few who might stay and leave the monday morning.

> And the user meeting? 1-2 days?

I think 2 days yes, One day for talks and presentations (probably with some overlapping workshops), one day for workshops.

> Best regards,
> Lluís
>
> [1] http://www.gironacongressos.org/eng/index.php <http://www.gironacongressos.org/eng/index.php>
>
> PS: I'm not on the qgis-psc list, so my email on this list will be surely rejected . Please, fell free to forward my email to the list.

Ok no problem I am cc’ing the list in my reply so they will see the context.

—

Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net