[Qgis-psc] Moving to 3.0

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 03:19:39 PST 2016

On 5 Feb 2016 9:41 PM, "Jürgen E." <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> On Fri, 05. Feb 2016 at 15:51:04 +1100, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > * a firm plan decided and locked in BEFORE we release 2.14, so we can
> >   communicate the future release plans as part of our 2.14 marketing.
>
> On what base should a firm plan be done?   The PSC doesn't do the work -
so a
> timeline requires knowledge about what needs to be done and how long that
takes
> and who's going to work on that.
>
> The work could already have been started.  Ok, it already started - but
it's
> not continuing for some reason and it's not clear to me why.
>
> I guess it's about funding behind the scenes - but apparently that's not
being
> discussed openly.

Personally, it's nothing to do with funding for me (check the list history,
I've stated multiple times that I think a good start would be funding
yourself and Matthias to make the packaging/build related changes). I
haven't sought funding myself yet for any 3.0 related changes.

I'm looking to the PSC for permission/timelines for when I can start
breaking API, so that I can plan around that and convey those timings to my
clients. And to be honest I'm very keen to start fixing longstanding
bugs/add features which can't be addressed with the 2.0 API (
https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues)

For transparency when API is unfrozen I will be starting a series of crowd
funding projects to address composer rewrites, etc.

Nyall

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
+49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
+49-4931-918175-50
http://www.norbit.de