[Qgis-psc] Moving to 3.0

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Feb 5 03:31:50 PST 2016

On 2016-02-05 11:40, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> The work could already have been started.  Ok, it already started - but it's
> not continuing for some reason and it's not clear to me why.

I know a handful QGIS core developers who are waiting for a plan from
PSC about 3.0.

> I guess it's about funding behind the scenes - but apparently that's not being
> discussed openly.

There is no "funding behind the scenes" - at least I know nothing

The only funding initiative there is around QGIS 3.0 is the PyQGIS
updates initiative from Matthias - which will be a sponsoring project
from QGIS-CH. QGIS-CH funds each year two smaller projects with 5k CHF
each. This year we had 4 proposals of which the members voted on - until
today. Matthias project with the PYQGIS updater received most votes so
far.

So 99% QGIS-CH will "partially" fund this project. Since the whole
project is a bit more expensive than what QGIS-CH pays for, we hope that
QGIS.ORG will approve to pay the rest - or some other external funder.

The other funding QGIS-CH will do in 2016 is 10k CHF dedicated
sponsoring for bug fixing.

This is all I know of. Without any plan from PSC or proposals from devs
(like Matthias did), there will be not other funding around 3.0