[Qgis-psc] Draft announcement re 3.0

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Feb 8 01:40:16 PST 2016

Hi

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 07-02-16 22:56, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Hi PSC> I have written up a draft announcement about the 3.0 plan. I am
> > including a complete draft below.. Please let me know if you have
> > comments, corrections, additions to this DRAFT so that I can post it and
> > then advertise it more broadly.
>

> Nice writing as always Tim! Thanks for this.

​No problem!​

> To me it is not fully clear in this text if we will branch 2.14 or 2.16,
> I think that is because (in Juergens words) in the beginning we talk
> about branch in parallel (which at least in my eyes is about branching
> now). But in the disadvantages part we write : "To counter this, our
> public recommendation is that after 2.16 comes out..."
>
> If we are not branching 2.14, we could mention the reason we are NOT
> branching now already (paid features/contracts?). I'm afraid some will
> be disappointed that they have to wait another half year before they can
> add the things they want to add/change.

​My understanding (correct me if I am wrong Jürgen) is that we will do
nothing different for 2.x releases. I think the simplest way to explain it
is that we just 'keep on trucking', doing 2.x releases​ as 'normal' every 4
months until 3.0 is ready. After 2.16 is released, we immediately create
teh 3.0 branch and encourage all new features to be written there.

> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> PS I still think branching NOW is best: if no one will do anything, we
> will have a branch where nothing happens, but if dev's start
> working/testing ( at least I will try to build :-) ) we will have a
> headstart or at least some experience.

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training