[Qgis-psc] QGIS international conference organization - better in the open?

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Feb 15 01:12:29 PST 2016

Hi,

Today is the deadline for submissions to the 2nd QGIS user conference. I
know I am a bit late with my proposal, but maybe we could consider it
for the 3rd conference in 2017.

I wonder if it wouldn't be more useful to work on the conference
schedule more "in the open", rather than with a traditional conference
schedule and reviewing team.

It is a quite some work to come up with a proposal for a presentation,
and even more for a workshop. If we do it in our own chamber, there is
the risk that someone else is proposing something very similar and there
may be a lot of overlap in the submissions.

If we had a open registry of submissions (a wiki page or shared
spreadsheet) potential presenters/workshop instructors could see what
others already submitted and could avoid overlap and start filling in
the gaps.

Currently, I have really no idea about other submissions. I totally work
in the dark - and I think this is suboptimal - in the age of good
internet communication.

We are not an academic conference where we really need a traditional
abstract submission and reviewing - where presenters (scientists)
compete and gain reputation from the submission - in my opinion. Rather
it would be more important to avoid a lot of overlap and presenting a
broad range of QGIS topics.

What do others think?