[Qgis-psc] OSX 2.16 versions

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 27 06:26:04 PDT 2016

(adding William to this thread)

Hi Andreas,

I am not surprised that I am totally wrong on all counts, I am for sure
over-stepping my bounds.  Essentially I am trying to make sure that you
include William on your team, and if anything I hope my (incorrect)
email helps to bring everyone together.  I think this thread was asking
questions, and my thinking is to bring everyone together and to talk.

-jeff

On 2016-07-27 9:59 AM, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> I believe QGIS 2.16 wasn't properly announced yet - looking
> into https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2016-July/thread.html I
> can't see such an announcement e-mail. However, the webpage lists 2.16 -
> so I don't really know if it is really released yet or not. It is a bit
> of a mess. Of course people start tweeting before official announcements
> ... probably including myself.
>
> But both of your assumptions are wrong. QGIS.ORG is not waiting until
> all of the packages are created - and none of the packagers are funded
> so far. Packaging and release is purely voluntary work until now. Also,
> documentation is only really marginally funded until now - but partially
> funded by companies who employ documenters (like Camptocamp).
>
> The only "paid" work so far was bug fixing -
> see http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog216/index.html#notable-fixes
> - we also pay partially the bug management work from Giovanni and every
> once in a while some infrastructure work, or just recently Matthias
> Kuhn's work on implementing the test framework for QGIS processing.
>
> Of course this is all up to discussion.
>
> We are about to launch a "QGIS grants" program soon - someone could
> apply for a grant to do such work (release and packaging). Or PSC
> decides to pay someone separately for such work - outside of the grant
> program.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2016-07-27 14:32, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm assuming here that you are working closely with William, through
>> the QGIS paid 'bug fixing program' (or whatever we name it, for
>> helping to fund the team for each release).  I also am assuming that
>> the green button for the release is pressed once packagers on the
>> major platforms are ready, and the documentation team has finished
>> their changes.  Yes packagers and documenters must be included on that
>> team, the 'bug fixing program' or whatever you name it.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2016-07-27 4:08 AM, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I hear a lot of requests for the 2.16 OSX packages - also discussed on
>>> Twitter. I don't know Kyngchaos and I don't want to push him, because I
>>> don't know him personally - who is in contact with him? Are there
>>> technical issues or just a lack of time? Can we do something to
>>> assist/accelerate the process?
>>>
>>> Could we setup an automatic build system for OSX in the future, perhaps
>>> starting with QGIS 3.x?
>>>
>>> The OSX builds seem to be esp. popular in the media and designer community.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Andreas

Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/