[Qgis-psc] OSX 2.16 versions

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Jul 27 10:44:00 PDT 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 27-07-16 09:36, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > hi
> >
> >> On 27 Jul 2016, at 9:08 AM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net
> >> <mailto:a.neumann at carto.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I hear a lot of requests for the 2.16 OSX packages - also discussed on
> >> Twitter. I don't know Kyngchaos and I don't want to push him, because
> >> I don't know him personally - who is in contact with him? Are there
> >> technical issues or just a lack of time? Can we do something to
> >> assist/accelerate the process?
> >>

> > I'll pop him a note to ask.
>
> He did reply to the same question on the user list:
>
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2016-July/037197.html
>
> I've also dropped a note to Larry about the signed installer earlier,
> and did not hear anything back yet from there.

Sorry for the delay again on that. However, I did finish that work last
weekend, and sent William all of the certs/keys to code-sign his installers.

> I think we cannot push people, and trying to orchestrate releases more
> is just very complex. OS-X users just have to wait I think?

Of note, I have two variations on generating QGIS OS X builds on OSGeo or
QGIS project hardware that are based upon a Homebrew package backend
(similar to our Travis CI setup):

* Bundle everything, including all supporting Processing apps/libs.
* Create an OSGeo4Mac installer, much like OSGeo4W, i.e. QGIS is only one
package.

The latter was the whole point of my OSGeo4Mac project to begin with [0].
There are pros/cons to each approach. As a side note, I have already
started on a similar approach for the Boundless Desktop distribution, where
QGIS is a component. However, it will take considerable work to achieve the
level of completeness that OSGeo4W currently provides (maybe 3-4 months).

This, to me, means providing a complete, bundled and code-signed QGIS.app
for OS X, using a Homebrew formulae maintained in the QGIS source tree, is
something that should be considered. I have done this type of full bundling
at Boundless for a while now, up until now, where the Boundless Desktop
architecture will be based upon Qt Installer Framework [1] and essentially
build the groundwork for an OSGeo4Mac setup.

I have chosen NOT to release any of this work up until now, so as to not
fracture the OS X QGIS distribution even further with 2.x releases. With
the advent of QGIS 3.0, I feel it should now be discussed.

The main reasons to base everything upon Homebrew:

* Very active community, with quick updates to incompatibility
* Any 'setup' installer or complete bundling build scripts will be plainly
in public source control management, for anyone to help fix/advance.
* All non-bundled installs, even entire stacks, can run isolated from any
other install. No installations into /Library/Frameworks, etc.

Of note, I am getting paid at work to accomplish a variant of OSGeo4Mac
(and actually a GUI variant of OSGeo4W) for the Boundless Desktop install.
I would *very* much prefer to have this work contributed back upstream to
the OSGeo/QGIS communities. Towards that end, if either the OSGeo or QGIS
project were to finance the core part of that work, via my employer (like
paid bug fixing arrangements in the past), I think this would be a good
assurance that the code start/remain in the public domain.

I welcome further discussion on this, and can provide as much information
as needed on implementation details.

[0] https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac
[1] http://doc.qt.io/qtinstallerframework/index.html

Regards,