[Qgis-psc] OSX 2.16 versions

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Wed Jul 27 13:12:02 PDT 2016

Hi Larry

> On 27 Jul 2016, at 7:44 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
>

> Of note, I am getting paid at work to accomplish a variant of OSGeo4Mac (and actually a GUI variant of OSGeo4W) for the Boundless Desktop install. I would *very* much prefer to have this work contributed back upstream to the OSGeo/QGIS communities. Towards that end, if either the OSGeo or QGIS project were to finance the core part of that work, via my employer (like paid bug fixing arrangements in the past), I think this would be a good assurance that the code start/remain in the public domain.

Just flipping your proposal around, how about asking your employer to fund your time for community OSGEO packaging on a sustained basis? I reckon it is a pretty good 'in-kind' contribution back to the upstream projects they take benefit from? I don't have a problem with QGIS funding people to do stuff, but I am weary of setting a precedent where QGIS **has** to fund people on an ongoing basis or key parts of the project break. We don't have the financial resources to sustain that. If there is a short, sharp once off thing you would like to work on in order to get us over some packaging hurdle its certainly something we can entertain funding it (and same applies to William) - look out for the upcoming grant programme call. If you think it would be OK for me to write to your bosses asking them to support QGIS by giving you the space needed to make packages I'd be happy to do that too.

---

Tim Sutton
QGIS Project Steering Committee Chair
tim at qgis.org