[Qgis-psc] Moving tickets to GitHub - status update?

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Mon Jun 20 07:35:40 PDT 2016

Hi all

> On 20 Jun 2016, at 16:31, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> On 06/20/2016 03:59 PM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
>> Hi Yves,
>>
>>> FYI, note that you can ask everywhere on #QGIS IRC channel or the list. We are
>>> several on these lists also able to give this mantra.
>>>
>>> The process is really easy.
>>

>> it is easy for who knows irc, and is used to use it.
>> Asking a common user this additional step is a good way to make them
>> quit the process immediately, at least this was the impression I had
>> the other day when I was showing to a class how to report qgis bugs.
>
> I completely agree with Giovanni.
>
> I imagine the situation where I start using a new application and want
> to get into contact with the project.
> If the first thing I have to do is to go to a website that looks like
> 1985 and then I'm instructed to get some random mantra on IRC... I'll
> forget about the "get in touch" idea. Maybe I will continue to use the
> software. But I'll certainly continue with a feeling that this project
> is a bit quirky.
>
> Compare this to the impression one gets from using QGIS when it comes to
> the application (which is widely perceived as user friendly from what I
> hear) or looking at the QGIS homepage or listening to QGIS
> presentations. We have great, professional looking material.
>
> Let's face it. It's 2016. It's time to move on.

I’m in the ‘don’t think mantras are a good approach’ camp too. I believe Jürgen is going to work with you guys (in particular Giovanni and Matthias) to get a migration path to GH Issues so that we don’t need to make users deal with OSGEO sign up process + have the benefit of a nice modern issue tracker.