[Qgis-psc] Moving tickets to GitHub - status update?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Jun 20 08:59:52 PDT 2016

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 20. Jun 2016 at 16:35:40 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> > Compare this to the impression one gets from using QGIS when it comes to
> > the application (which is widely perceived as user friendly from what I
> > hear) or looking at the QGIS homepage or listening to QGIS presentations.
> > We have great, professional looking material.

> > Let's face it. It's 2016. It's time to move on.

> I’m in the ‘don’t think mantras are a good approach’ camp too. I believe
> Jürgen is going to work with you guys (in particular Giovanni and Matthias)
> to get a migration path to GH Issues so that we don’t need to make users deal
> with OSGEO sign up process + have the benefit of a nice modern issue tracker.

Um, that implies that I'm already sold on the idea that we should be using gh
for tickets.  I'm not sure we need to switch the ticket system again.

I guess it's more the hosting and not redmine itself that makes it slow - and I
believe that's the main point why we consider to switch.

And I doubt tags only are better suited to classify a massive amount of tickets
like ours than what redmine offers.  But I have neither experience with using
redmine for anything else but QGIS and no experience with using gh with many
tickets.

Matthias' script IMHO looses too much information we have in rm - and trying to
do more - back in April - I quickly ran into gh's api throtteling.   IIRC there
was also didn't find a way to attribute stuff to the original
submitter/commenter.

That also points to the fact that gh is proprietary service - which is another
thing I have issues with - IMHO a route we should be careful about.  For git
that doesn't matter - but for issues (and that also goes for PRs) it does.

gh is of course much easier for us to use - because we don't have to worry
about hosting, scalabilility and administration - which one of gh's big
plus.   Integration is another - but that cuts both ways.

Jürgen

PS: BTW the odd mantra thing is just temporary.

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de