[Qgis-psc] Moving tickets to GitHub - status update?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Jun 21 03:45:41 PDT 2016

On 06/21/2016 12:19 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> Could this be overcome by splitting the work in some days: first only
> the last(first?) 1000 issues, next day... etc etc?

I checked with github, they instructed me to split it up to 5 hours.

> Original submitter, as long as we have the id/name of him/her (as text)
> somewhere in the issue, we know who to attribute/contact if really needed?

Exactly my point of view.

>> gh is of course much easier for us to use - because we don't have to worry
>> about hosting, scalabilility and administration - which one of gh's big
>> plus.   Integration is another - but that cuts both ways.
>
> I think the hosting, scalability and administration are the main points
> to move. BUT also the almost defacto standard of even a beginning
> developer starts by creating a github account and repo :-)

And the fact that we have made good experiences with their services in
the past ...

> More 'open' options like: Gitlab or Gog I think miss the 'general
> familiarity' for normal people/users.

... and we don't know if we can put the same level of confidence into
any of these.

> In last PSC meeting we talked about 'working groups', if all
> (complaining) people in this thread invest time/money into the move, I
> think a 'Move to Github'-working group would be a nice first temporary
> 'working group'?

I don't think it's about time or money. It's about a few important
people not being sold on the idea (yet ;) ).

Matthias