[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: [Qgis-user] Virus ( Trojan.Gen.SMH) detected by Symantec in QGIS 2.14.3 32 bits

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jun 27 00:45:57 PDT 2016

Hi all,
could someone from the PSC please try to approach them?
I'm a bit overcommitted these days, I do not want to slow things down
taking this.
All the best.

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------
Hi Paolo,

On 06/27/2016 09:04 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 19/06/2016 18:46, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:
>> Hi Patrick
>>
>> On 19/06/16 17:00, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
>>> Just to signal that I cannot install  QGIS 2.14.3 (32 bits) with
>>> QGIS-OSGeo4W-2.14.3-2-Setup-x86.exe (stand-alone) on Windows 7.
>>> Symantec antivirus detect qgis.bin.exe as Trojan.Gen.SMH and put it in
>>> vault (which, of course prevents the sofwtare from working...). Mabe a
>>> false positive but it leads to a dedalock when is comes to use QGIS 32
>>> bits.
>> This has been reported in the past and is - if I understand correctly -
>> related to heuristics. If you have a support contract with symantec, it
>> would be great if you could ask them if they could adjust their
>> heuristics (or provide details about what needs to be done to pass their
>> tests). I am not aware of anything we could do from our side without
>> more information from the provider of the anti virus software.
>>
>> https://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-041522-2144-99
>
> Hi all,
> apparently still true. Any hope to have it fixed? Should we approach
> Symantec officially?
> All the best.

This report makes us appear malicious and can cost us some reputation
and users. I think it would be good to approach them.

I don't think we are shipping malware and I am not aware of anything
that we could do without further information.

Thanks a lot
Matthias