[Qgis-psc] Feedback on Statutes

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Nov 26 00:26:05 PST 2016

Dear all

Thank you all (Thomas, Andreas, Bernhard, Matthias, Marco B.) so much for your feedback regarding the statutes, and for doing so in such a short time frame. I have listed all the feedback below. Items with a dark black bullet have been dealt with. In most cases I have added a short comment prefixed with my name in bold for your reference. All the changes I have made are in the google doc with change tracking here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FcChHYgoI4FlURrZRYBjD8kB6IBW_BaG0Ieg8TDT0pM/edit#

Tonight I plan to merge all of those changes, make a PDF and put it on loomio for adoption. I will be offline most of today, but I will check my email tonight for any last comments. PSC if you have any comments please let me know, otherwise can I assume you are all ok for me to put this document before the voting community for general vote?

Best regards

Tim

QGIS Statutes

From Andreas

Hi Tim,
Apparently, there has been some feedback (german user group?) about the charter.
Would you be able to share the feedback with me? I would like to review this feedback as well.
--------------------
Some more issues:
Section 1:
"The legally binding version of this document is translated in the german language." --> better:
"The legally binding version of this document is the german version of this document". Tim: The German version of this document is the legally binding version.
----------
In section 2:
* Remove second points after "QGIS.ORG <http://qgis.org/> Association". Or even better: the PSC should have its own iten number --> makes more sense. Perhaps PSC should be explained before "QGIS Board" because the QGIS Board says "A subset of the PSC" ... Tim: Ok done (if I understood everything correctly)
More important:
* The sentence "QGIS Project Steering Committee (PSC) - The elected representatives of the QGIS community empowered with making day to day "decisions on behalf of the project." contradicts the definition of the board. The day to day decisions MUST be with the board - otherwise the whole PSC would be on the board. Only people registered in the trade registry can really do decisions (by law). The PSC can only have advisory status. So this sentence must be reworded that the PSC has "advisory character".
I know this sounds like these three people on the board have a lot of power, but in practice we could have an internal rule (not in the charter) that the board has to honor/follow decisions of the PSC and of course from the voting members. Tim: Ok makes sense to me
Chair should also have its own item number.
In section 5.2:
* remove the empty bullet point. Tim: Done
* Perhaps better re-order: Have the "QGIS User Group Voting Members" first before the "QGIS Community Voting members". Seems more logical to me, since it reads "For each user group voting member ..." Tim: Done
I wonder if the role of the PSC needs to be better clarified in the charter? There are quite a few references to the PSC, but no real clarification what the PSC really is. Tim: Done - I have added a special section for this
Thanks,
Andreas