[Qgis-psc] PayPal is insane

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Thu Aug 24 11:28:16 PDT 2017

Hi

Wow! Thank you for looking around for an alternative! I wonder if we can't
just get a straight merchant banking facility (I don't know what you call
it in Europe) that lets us accept credit card payment straight to our
account. Perhaps it is worth asking the bank if they offer such a facility?

BTW is this only affecting us now that we have our own PayPal account or
did we take a similar hit when operating through Horst's PayPal account too?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>
wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>
> I now tried to withdraw money from PayPal to our bank account.
>
> Next to a bad exchange rate (not the interbank rate) they charge 2.5%
> currency conversion fee for a conversion they force me to do, because they
> refuse to send EUR to a Swiss bank account (although all the other banks in
> the world can do that). They also refuse to link a European bank account to
> a Swiss PayPal account. How mad is that?
>
> This means that overall they earn about 10% of our income. This is insane.
>
> Not even a regular bank charges that much!

> Andreas

*Tim Sutton*
QGIS Project Steering Committee Chair
tim at qgis.org