[Qgis-psc] PayPal is insane

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Aug 24 23:39:25 PDT 2017

Hi Tim,

I am hoping to find a payment service (with support for credit cards -
because apparently this is what sponsors outside of Europe usually use,
and most of our donors) that only charges along 2-3 %, not 5-10 %. I had
a look at payment solutions of the bank that

I don't have any insight into the PayPal account of Horst, I am assuming
we pay the same horrible fees like for our PayPal account - we just did
not notice until now.

I also found out that most payment services charge more fees for
businesses/organizations/NGOs than they charge for private persons. Like
Revolut or TransferWise - they are "free" (or marginal fees) for private
persons, but organizations/businesses pay. In case of Revolut, there is
a fee of 25 £ to keep a global account with credit cards. Still this may
be much cheaper than PayPal. Paypal earned >300 € just in the past three
weeks from QGIS.ORG. If we extrapolate this over the past couple years,
PayPal sucked out many thousand € from our donations and sponsorship fees.

Anyway - please all - keep your eyes open on new and innovative payment
solutions.

As suggested by Tim, I will also ask the bank where we have our bank
account for direct credit card payment solutions, direct to our bank
account. Perhaps the fees are reasonable.

Thanks,

Andreas